Posts Tagged ‘upgrade’
As promised, I installed Fedora 9 – and promptly moved back to Fedora 8. The problem is not Fedora – its KDE. KDE 4 is not yet ready for normal use. And if you are a KDE user, I would suggest that you stay away from Fedora 9.
The purpose of KDE 4 is to make KDE compactable with Qt4. Its not for actual use. Sure, it could be used as a desktop, but it will lack many features that you expect in KDE.
I am surprised that Fedora decided to include KDE4 – despite its ‘alpha-ness’. But they have their reasons
Problems With KDE4
- Customizable Panel
- I could not find any options to customizing the panel – KDE 3.5 have a lot of options.
- Many Options/Settings are missing.
- It will be coming in the future releases – but its missing now.
- Desktop Icons have no consistency
- Some icons are bigger than others. On the other hand, you can rotate these icons – but I fail to see any practical application for that.
- And many more…
- Random crashes, dolphin, irremovable ‘Add Plasmoid’ option on the desktop, etc.
Long story short, I am back in Fedora 8. And I will be on it until Fedora 10 is out. And even then, I’ll wait some time before upgrading.
Fedora 9/KDE4 Positive Reviews
- Fedora 9 Review
- Fedora 9 and the road to KDE4
- Review Roundup: Fedora 9
- Fedora 9: Leading edge or bleeding edge?
- Hats off to Fedora 9
- 5 Reasons Why Youâ€™ll Love Fedora 9
- aseigo: talking bluntly
- KDE 4.0 – why now?
And the Negative Ones…
Tags: Fedora, install, KDE, review, upgrade
Posted in Fedora, KDE | 9 Comments »